March 25, 2009

Play That Funky Music, Jedi

When I was growing up, my brother and I used to get a kick out of repeatedly listening to a beaten-up 45 single of a "funk/disco" version of the Star Wars Theme that our parents owned. Years later, after the age of downloadable music arrived, I managed to find this track online and enjoyed it all over again.

So imagine my surprise when I went LP shopping recently, and found this album - "Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk" by funk/disco group Meco. OMG! Who knew a whole album existed?

But sure enough, this was it. If you've ever had the pleasure of hearing this track, and enjoyed it, you'll be delighted to hear the whole thing - it's about 15 minutes long, so unlike the single, it includes not just the Star Wars Theme and Cantina Band, but also "Imperial Attack", "The Land of the Sand People", and "Princess Leia's Theme", among others.

The second side claims to have 3 separate tracks, titled "Other", "Galactic", and "Funk", respectively, but upon listening to it, there is really just one long track taking up the whole side, so I'm just calling it "Other Galactic Funk".

So as a result, instead of this album having the usual 10 to 15 tracks like most albums, there are only two "extended" mixes. Star Wars lovers (and disco lovers) rejoice!


3 comments:

Ron Caddigan said...

I'm feeling a kinship here. I have this one and love it! You are providing an excellent service, Ryan. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Cool rip dude!!

I do remember sitting in the basement listening to this.

One can almost be forgiven for mistaking the opening minute for theme song of the 1970's TV show CHiPs, the two are very similar.

Anonymous said...

When my brother and I were teenagers we had this album and we used to love it! I remember dancing to it for hours. Thank you very much for making it available to me again!

Iliana Díaz, from Mexico City.